A slight fever is often a sign that your immune system is running well. It shows that your immune system is fighting an infection. Elderly are often more prone to infections and fever, but that should not be a cause of worry.
Fever medicines force the body to cool down. While that may be needed in high fever cases, using natural remedies to bring down the temperature while letting the immune system do its job can also be an option.
Here are a few natural remedies you can try to deal with the fever effectively:
1. Water: Water is called the elixir of life and rightly so. Water is important to let the body regulate temperature, flush out germs and help the body function better. Drinking enough fluids will help you balance the water in your body that you will lose through sweating in fever. You can also drink electrolytes and fruit juices to replenish the lost water content.
2. Ginger and garlic: These natural herbs found in every Indian kitchen have effective anti-bacterial properties. They are effective against low fever and common cold. Make warm tea using ginger and add lots of ginger and garlic in your food to make the best use of these magical herbs.
3. Turmeric milk: Turmeric is another ingredient found in every house in India. The west is just coming to know about the healing properties of turmeric while we have been using this as an anti-bacterial spice since ages. A warm cup of milk with turmeric in it can soothe a sore throat and running nose and bring down fever. Add honey to it for taste and you have a magical potion ready.
4. Basil: Basil or tulsi is a commonly found herb in most households. It helps in bringing down fever. 20 leaves of tulsi can be boiled along with ginger till the water is reduced to half. It can be taken 2-3 times a day along with honey.
5. Rest: The best way to let the body do its job is to get lots of rest. It needs the energy and time to fight the germs and infections of fever. By resting, you are allowing your body to heal back naturally. Exhausting yourself will only make your condition worse. So it is best to rest and recuperate.
By following the above remedies, you can feel better within one to three days. However, each person responds differently to medicines and natural remedies, both. In case you feel that your fever is still not breaking and you are really unwell, seek a doctor’s advice immediately.
Ask a question regarding 5 Effective Natural Remedies for Elderly to Fight Fever