Organic Delusional Disorder is a psychotic disorder where a person cannot distinguish between imagination and reality. The person goes through an unshakable belief that something is wrong and they can’t differentiate if it’s true or false.
Some of the symptoms of Delusional Disorder are mentioned below:
- Depressed mood
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Withdrawal from family and friends
A person dealing with Organic Delusional Disorder withdraws more and more from reality and it’s usually difficult to convince them otherwise.
If you have a family member going through this disorder, below given tips can help you take care of them better:
1. Pay attention to their emotions: Understanding paranoia can be difficult. A delusional person does not understand logic and if you try to show them reason, they may shut down. The ideal thing to do is to both understand and acknowledge their emotion so that you don’t end up arguing with them.
2. Express your concern: Delusional Disorder can make a person feel backed in a corner, and you want to tell them that you understand their situation. It would be better to show your concern about their condition while ensuring you don’t do it in a condescending manner.
3. Avoid getting frustrated: When your reality is different than theirs, it is easy to lose your temper. It is important to understand that this is an illness and the person is in need of your love. Getting frustrated with them can make them lose their temper on their loved ones. It is advised to caregivers that they learn to derail their thoughts that are causing them frustration so that they can be 100% supportive to the patient.
4. Read about this illness: Educate yourself as much as possible about Organic Delusional Disorder. Learn from trusted sources and from an expert on the matter. When dealing with a disorder, knowledge is your armor.
5. Seek a therapist’s help: Although the patient does not want to see what’s wrong with the situation, it is advised you do your best to convince them to see a therapist. Delusional Disorder can be dealt with the help of a therapist and right medication.
It is important to be patient with your loved one and support them at every step of the treatment. With the doctor’s treatment and your care, they can get better.
Ask a question regarding 5 ways to care for a loved one suffering from Organic Delusional Disorder