Winters in India are considered as the welcoming of the party season. Be it weddings, sangeets, Christmas or New Year’s celebrations, winters are the best time to enjoy with family and friends and be decked up in your best winter wardrobe collections. However, it is the same time when cold weather can take a toll on your skin.
As we grow our skin may lose elasticity and become more prone to dryness. Especially, in winter season, dryness may increase, causing irritation and giving us a scaly, dry and dull look. Then how do we look our best and shine through all the amazing parties this season?
Also Read: Five tips for fabulous skin post 60
Here are 8 tips to care for your skin this winter season:
1. Use cold creams: It is important to choose the right cream as per the season that suits your body. While we can use Aloe Vera based non-sticky moisturizers in other seasons, for winters cocoa butter or honey-milk based cold creams and herbal creams can be opted. Apply cold cream right after your bath and enjoy the moisturized healthy skin throughout the day.
2. Shower with luke warm water: Ensure that you do not bathe in extremely hot water as it may dehydrate your skin by taking away the oils. Limit your bath to 10-15 minutes in luke warm water.
Also Read: 7 Tips to Prevent Dry Skin As You Age
3. Massage with olive oil: Olive oil is considered as one of the best oils for moisturizing or massaging your skin in winters. It also helps in reviving the elasticity of the skin that gets impaired due to age, giving your skin a supple and healthy look.
4. Apply Malai/Milk cream: Dry winters can steal away our natural sheen. While cold creams will help you rejuvenate your skin’s moisture, malai or milk cream has been doing the same for centuries. You can massage and exfoliate your face with fresh malai to see the wonder of this easily available kitchen ingredient. It helps retain the hydration in the body and allows your skin to shine despite the harsh impact of the chilly weather.
5. Carry a hand cream: Our hands face the maximum impact of winters as they are always exposed. Also as we wash our hands multiple times a day, there is more dryness to be found on our hands. Thus, carrying a hand cream at all times can help you moisturize your hands as and when required and prevent them from wrinkles and dry itchiness during winters.
6. Use moisture based lipstick: For lips avoid using lipsticks that give you a chapped look. A range of moisture based lipsticks are available in the market, which you may try. The moisture will help you maintain the hydration on the lips and will also give you beautiful and shiny lips to flaunt. Using a lip balm before applying lipstick work wonders in saving your lips from dryness.
7. Have a night routine: It’s a must to have a night routine for everyone. Wash your face with warm water before sleeping. Apply moisturizer of your choice. A lot of wrinkle creams are available nowadays, which help in promoting healing of the skin, hence, applying a wrinkle cream in the night gives your skin a good amount of time to recuperate. Also go for an under-eye cream to prevent or reduce dark circles, wrinkles, fine lines and under-eye bags.
8. Stay hydrated: Last but not the least, stay hydrated by drinking water generously through the day. Set reminders on your phone, if you have the tendency to forget, but drink at least 3-4 litres of water a day. It will not only help your skin look healthy, but will improve the overall health of your body.
As someone rightly said, ‘age is just a number’, we believe it has nothing to do with wanting to look happy and bright. The above-mentioned winter care tips can help your skin look healthier and you perkier this cold season.
Ask a question regarding 8 Skin Care Tips for Older Adults to Glow This Winter Season