Heart Disease and Ayurveda
Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of death globally. More than 30 million Indians have heart issues out of which over 60% of the people are older adults. Coronary heart disease (CHD) is considered to be an epidemic in India. The major risk factors linked with CHD in India are diabetes, smoking, hypertension, stress, central obesity, imbalanced blood lipid levels, unhealthy diet, and an inactive lifestyle.
Ayurveda is the science that focuses on curing your body and mind using holistic practices. It has been successfully used since ages in the treatment of the various risk factors that cause heart diseases. There are cures in Ayurveda for almost every disease including heart disease. As there are no side effects to Ayurvedic medicines and remedies, it is much preferred to allopathic treatment in treating heart conditions in older adults.
Also Read: Watch How the Heart Ages with You
How Ayurveda Can Cure Heart Diseases
Heart diseases are usually an effect of a multitude of other conditions and habits like diabetes, hypertension, improper diet and lesser activity. Cardiovascular diseases like blockages occur due to toxin and fat build-up in the blood vessels leading to the heart.
Ayurvedic treatment for heart diseases consists of a complete set of actions including diet, medicines, and exercise. These treatments help control the risk factors that cause heart disease. In some cases, these causative factors can be reversed completely. In turn, your heart condition improves.
Here is How Ayurveda Helps Cure Heart Diseases
- Lowers Blood Pressure: High blood pressure or hypertension are the leading causes of heart diseases. There are medicines and exercises like yoga and pranayama in Ayurveda that help increase the oxygen levels in the body. This, in turn, helps bring down systolic blood pressure.
- Increases Blood Circulation: Ischemic heart disease is the result of reduced blood supply to the heart due to poor circulation. It is the most common form of heart disease and is one of the leading causes of death in Indian older adults. Ayurvedic practices like drinking herbal teas that dilate the blood vessels making blood flow easily through the body. Certain Ayurvedic medicines also increase the force of heart contractions that improves blood circulation.
- Lowers Cholesterol Levels: Bad dietary practices over the years can cause elevated cholesterol levels in the body in old age. This fat build-up of fat leads to atherosclerosis which is the accumulation of cholesterol in the inner walls of arteries. This leads to blockages and strokes. Ayurvedic treatments like massages with healthy oils and yoga can significantly reduce and even reverse atherosclerosis.
- Improves the Elasticity of the Arteries: Arteries are originally very elastic to allow the passage of blood easily. As we age, these arteries start hardening and losing their elasticity. Ayurvedic medicines help arteries retain their elasticity thus reducing the risk of heart failure.
- Decreases Stress: Stress triggers the release of the adrenaline and cortisol hormones. Both these hormones cause some changes in the body like increased heart rate and blood pressure. If you experience prolonged stress, it affects health adversely and is a major cause of heart disease. Ayurvedic therapies like fomentation help reduce stress and anxiety for better heart health.
Ayurveda offers you a combination of therapies for your physical and mental wellbeing. As it has no side effects, older adults with chronic diseases can avail of its services freely.
Ayurvedic treatment has undergone massive research in the field of modern medicine and has numerous therapies included under heart health. Following Ayurvedic therapy for cardiovascular diseases under a qualified Ayurveda specialist can ensure that you have a happy heart even in old age.
Ask a question regarding Can Ayurveda Treat Heart Diseases in Older Adults?