India is slowly emerging as the hub of kidney transplantation. In fact, it ranks second in the world in the number of kidney transplants, coming only after the U.S. Approximately 7,500 kidney transplantations are performed in India every year at 250 kidney transplant centres.
It is estimated that nearly 220,000 people in India require kidney transplantation. The main cause of this is end-stage renal disease (ESRD). The cost of a kidney transplant at a private hospital might cost around ₹ 2-3 lakhs. Apart from this, there are hospitalization and medicine charges. Many people, especially those in the lower-income group, cannot afford such high costs. Most often, this results in the death of the older adult suffering from ESRD which is slow and painful.
However, there are several hospitals that offer kidney transplants at cheaper rates as compared to other private hospitals.
Here is a list of hospitals that offer free or low-cost kidney transplants in India:
- Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi: Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi offers free kidney transplants. The hospital also offers free medication and hospital stay to patients who fall in the below poverty level (BPL) category. You can contact the Safdarjung Hospital at 011-26164186 (Nephrology Department).
- Tamilnad Kidney Research Foundation (TANKER Foundation): The TANKER Foundation is based in Chennai. It offers dialysis at cheap rates to all and also extends financial assistance to the poor and needy in case they have to undergo a kidney transplant procedure. You can contact this foundation at 044-28341635/044-43090998. You can also email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Their website is tankerfoundation.org.
- AIIMS, New Delhi: The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi offers kidney transplant at extremely affordable rates (less than ₹ 65,000) You can contact the Nephrology department of the hospital at 011-26593292 (9.30 AM to 5.00 PM).
- Gujarat Kidney Foundation: This foundation offers kidney transplant at very low rates, lower even than most government hospitals. They also offer special discounts for poor and needy patients. You can contact them at 079-26652220. Their website is gujaratkidneyfoundation.com.
- Indira Gandhi Government General Hospital, Puducherry: This hospital offers a fully free renal transplant along with free medicines and hospital stay provided the donor and the recipient have a first-degree relationship (parent, sibling, or child). You can contact the hospital at 0413-2274552/0413-2277545. Their website is igmcri.com.
Also Read: Kidney Diseases in Women Over 50
These hospitals offer kidney transplants for free or at subsidized rates for people who cannot afford to pay a huge amount of fees at private hospitals. The technology and the resources, however, are state-of-the-art, just like at any other kidney transplant centre. You can avail of these services to lead a healthy life after kidney transplant.
Also Read: Common Myths about Kidney Diseases Debunked
Ask a question regarding 5 Hospitals that Offer Free or Low-cost Kidney Transplants in India