What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a quite popular alternative medical practice in India. In this, extremely dilute amounts of certain natural substances are used to treat several diseases.
Homeopathy was developed in the late 18th century by Samuel Hahnemann, a doctor in Germany. He was of the thinking that “like cures like” and started introducing minute quantities of toxins to fight disease. The toxin is selected on the basis of the symptoms it produces in larger quantities.
Along with Allopathy and Ayurveda, Homeopathy has also gained a foothold in treating various ailments. The most attractive quality of homeopathy is that it has no side effects. Homeopathic is known to cure even major diseases like cancer and AIDS. Even kidney diseases happening due to old age can be cured by homeopathy.
Use of Homeopathic Medicines for Kidney Problems in Older Adults
- Apis Mellifica: This medicine is used to treat mild kidney infections. When you complain of pain in the kidneys, your doctor might suggest you this medicine. It helps in increasing urine volume and lessens fatigue. The quality of your urine also improves. There is an increase in blood albumin levels as well and you start getting better sleep and rest.
- Arsenicum Album: Arsenicum album is one of the best remedies for chronic kidney disease (CKD). Especially in the later stages, when an older adult starts experiencing problems like excessive thirst, pale and waxy skin, and diarrhoea, or the colour of urine is dark yellow and is full of albumin, this medicine is used. Doses of Arsenicum album help reduce dyspnoea that many older adults face in CKD. It also helps produce a layer of mucus so that the patient experiences relief in breathing and swallowing.
- Aurum Muriaticum: This homeopathic medicine is used to cure diseases like Bright’s disease that may be caused by gout or syphilis. It helps in reducing the irritability of the digestive tract and ensures that the nervous system functions properly. Vertigo is a common outcome of Bright’s disease. Aurum Muriaticum helps keep vertigo in control.
- Belladonna: Any kidney inflammation results in a burning pain in the lumbar region of the kidneys. This pain increases in intensity with time, leading to great discomfort. Belladonna helps reduce this piercing pain and brings relief to the patient.
- Cantharis: Nephritis is an inflammation of the kidneys. An older adult with nephritis suffers intense pain in the pelvic region and pain while passing urine. There may also be swelling in various parts of the body like the face, legs, and feet. The patient may even pass blood while urinating. Cantharis is an effective cure for nephritis and brings relief to the patient with regular use.
- Convallaria: Nephritis might be caused due to heart disorders. In this, the patient has an irregular heart rate, might have oedema and hypertension also. Convallaria is used in such cases.
- Digitalis: Digitalis is used in homeopathy to cleanse blood vessels and strengthen the urinary tract. It is beneficial in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, too.
Homeopathy for Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are also a common problem in older adults. However, homeopathy is very beneficial in curing kidney stones. Here are some common homeopathic medicines for treating kidney stones.
- Berberis vulgaris: Used for treating the sharp pain radiating to the groin area and stones in the right kidney.
- Cantharis: Used for treating the burning pain you experience while urinating and also used to improve urine volume.
- Colocynthis: Used to tackle the pain in the abdomen while urinating.
- Ocimum Canum: Used to treat pain accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
- Pennyroyal: Used to treat frequent urination and left-sided ureter spasm or kidney stone.
Also Read: 7 Natural Ways to Prevent Kidney Stones
Homeopathy has proved beneficial for many people. However, you must take homeopathic medicines only after you consult a good homeopathic doctor. Unprescribed use of homeopathic medicines might be dangerous for health because it involves the use of toxins.
Kidney diseases can be debilitating. However, with the use of correct homeopathic medicines, you can bounce back easily.
Ask a question regarding Homeopathy Treatment for Kidney Disorders in Elderly