What is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is a form of senior housing that has staff and other amenities to help residents with daily activities. These activities include even basic ones like brushing, bathing, dressing, getting in and out of bed, eating, and visiting the bathroom. Other facilities like providing food and cleaning the home are also provided. Assisted living provides facilities like health monitoring, transportation and medication management services, and have senior-friendly social activities as well.
Assisted living facilities are apartments or societies that provide these services to older adults. These are specially designed keeping in mind the needs of the elderly who are not able to perform even daily activities due to their advanced age. Many of these societies include recreational areas like parks and club houses. Some of them may even have a gym. In recent times, many of these facilities have started providing healthcare, nursing care or memory care.
Why Do You Need Assisted Living?
With families becoming smaller in recent times, it is very common for parents to be living alone in their older years. However, many older adults feel insecure while staying alone. Some of them might be unable to perform daily activities like cooking or cleaning. These older adults do not need a high level of medical care. They are quite capable of living independently; they only require a little help. For such seniors, assisted living facilities come as a blessing.
In some cases, older adults are unable to move without help or have problems like incontinence. For such issues, keeping them in nursing homes or old age homes can make them feel abandoned and also burn a hole in the caretakers’ pocket.
However, assisted living facilities give older adults a sense of dignity and security and they are able to live their life easily.
Popular Assisted Living Facilities in India
- Ashiana Housing Utsav Care Homes – This is one of the most popular senior assisted living spaces throughout the country. They provide a large range of services for the residents, including medical support and trained medical staff. Older adults with problems like Alzheimer’s, dementia, arthritis, osteoporosis and Parkinson’s live here in comfort. There are housekeeping and personal grooming services available as well. They also have an emergency response system with a medical store, ambulance, paramedic staff, trained nurses, and on-call doctors 24×7, and OPD services daily. The next of kin of these seniors are frequently updated with their health and fitness details. These homes are available in Bhiwadi-Delhi-NCR and Jaipur.
- The Golden Estate – This is an assisted living space of over 60 apartments. They provide round-the-clock security to the seniors residing there. Apart from this, there is medical support, regular health check-ups, dietary planning, fitness and wellness programs, and frequent recreational activity. There is a separate staff for housekeeping, laundry, and grooming. In addition, they also provide personal affairs administration services. These homes are available in Faridabad (NCR).
- Epoch Elder Care – These homes focus on providing complete care for covering all the aspects in a senior’s life. Each of their plans is made to improve the physical and mental health of older adults. They run regular social activities and other activities that help them judge an older adult’s cognitive power, functional ability and also look after their nutrition and personal needs. They also provide dementia care. They are situated in Gurgaon and Pune.
- Athashri Homes – Athashri is India’s largest senior assisted living space. They have designed these apartments keeping in mind all the requirements of the elderly. The result is a calm and secure space for older adults to live their life with freedom and dignity. They provide 24×7 security services as well as emergency medical services, on-call doctor, tie-ups with leading hospitals for regular health checks, ambulance facility and CCTV and intercom facilities for easier living and higher security. Apart from these, housekeeping and other services like personal administration are also maintained. These apartments are located in Pune, Whitefield near Bengaluru, Vadodara, and California (USA).
- Nandhavanam – Nandhavanam seeks to provide a dignified lifestyle to older adults. They have facilities like diet management, polyclinic, visiting doctors, Wi-Fi and Internet connection, physiotherapists, trained nurses, staff attendants for daily needs and housekeeping, and ambulance and transportation services. They arrange social activities and recreational shows for the entertainment of their residents. Nandhavanam is located in Kancheepuram near Chennai.
With such senior assisted living spaces coming up, it is a good sign for older adults living alone. These spaces will ensure that seniors are looked after well and do not miss their children much.
What do you think of assisted living spaces? Share your views with us on [email protected] or comment below.
Ask a question regarding Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Tier 1 Cities