Many older adults are conversant with smartphones. These “seenagers” know quite well how to operate a smartphone and make use of the various apps in them to their benefit.
There are apps in your smartphone that can help you book a cab to take you to different places within your city and without. The video describes how you can book a cab.
Benefits of Cabs
Cabs are a wonderful way for older adults to travel. They provide comfort and safety while travelling. For older adults travelling alone or with their family, cabs are the safest way to reach your destination. They are also affordable and easily available.
Cabs give you the option of pre-booking your ride before leaving your home. You know that your cab is arriving and you can leave in peace unlike waiting for an auto-rickshaw or public transport. In fact, many auto-rickshaws have also enrolled themselves in cab programs so that you can use their services too.
Uber and Ola are the most-used apps for booking cabs. In this video, we will learn about how to book a cab using the Uber app.
How to Book a Cab:
- Install the Uber or Ola app on your phone
- Open the app
- Allow the app to access your location by clicking on ‘Allow’ when the app asks
- This will allow the app to access your location automatically
- Create your account in the app by using your phone number, Facebook account or Google (Gmail) account
- When you use your phone number, you will receive a One-Time Password (OTP) on your phone
- The Uber app will automatically detect the OTP and you will be logged in
- Turn on the GPS in your phone
- Click on the ‘Where To’ box
- Your current address is shown in the address section. You can add a different address by manually typing it in. Uber will suggest you places as well as you type
- You can also change the pick-up location to the nearest landmark so that you can locate the cab easily and vice versa
- Enter your destination address in a similar manner
- Ola also has a similar method of entering pick-up and drop locations
- Next, you will see different types of rides and their corresponding fares
- Swipe upwards for more options
- The most common options are UberAuto and UberGo
- UberAuto is the cheapest mode of transport. It consists of an auto-rickshaw ride when you have up to 3 people on a trip for short distances
- UberGo is a small car for up to 4 people for travelling within the city
- Premier is a bigger car for 4 people for a highly comfortable ride. This can be an option when you have luggage and need space
- POOL is a car ride where you share your ride with strangers going the same way. You can go alone or with a partner on POOL rides. You split the cost of the ride
- There are options for hiring cabs when you have to stop at multiple places during a trip and also for outstation rides
- Ola also offers similar options
- We will talk about UberGo in this video
- Tap on UberGo then click on the ‘Confirm UberGo’ button
- It finds the cabs nearest to you and confirms a driver for you
- The contact details of the driver and the time it will take for the cab to reach your location is given
- You can add any pick-up notes if you wish
- In Ola, you get a 4-digit OTP to share with your driver before starting your ride
- You can select the mode of payment – Cash, UPI, Credit or Debit Card, PayTM, etc.
- You can cancel the ride if you do not wish to travel. However, you might be charged for it
Tips for Older Adults
- Share your location – Travelling in an unknown cab can cause tension to you and your family. You can ease your tension by sharing your ride status with them via different methods like WhatsApp.
- Ensure your safety – If you feel unsafe during the trip, you can click the ‘Safety’ button to inform your close ones or share your trip with them, report the issue to Uber, or even call the Police for assistance.
Also Read: How to Use Google Maps on your Phone
Ask a question regarding Smart Seniors Series: How to Book a Cab